Are you curious about the state of Shopify in 2020? Then look no further. We have curated, vetted, and organized up-to-date stats about Shopify below. Click to jump to a category or continue reading for Shopify statistics.
Today, Shopify is the second-largest retailer in the United States. The e-commerce platform began in 2004, and since then has powered more than 1,000,000 merchants. Collectively, Shopify has driven more than $40 billion worth of sales.
- Shopify was started in 2014 by three Canadians.
- It is one of the most popular ecommerce platforms on earth.
- There are roughly 100 free and paid themes on the Shopify platform.
- There are thousands of themes on various theme-selling marketplaces.
- Shopify offers an enterprise version of Shopify called Shopify Plus.
- In 2018, Shopify opened its first brick and mortar store in Los Angeles.
- Shopify Merchants have spent more than $100 million in the Shopify App Store.
- Shopify celebrated their billionth order in 2018.
- Some of the top brands that use Shopify include Tesla Motors, Gymshark, FashionNova, Red Bull, Budweiser, Allbirds, and Penguin Books.
Top Shopify Statistics
These are the most interesting Shopify stats we think you should know.
- Shopify powers more than 1 million merchants worldwide as of October 2019. (Shopify & You)
- Shopify is the second-largest online retailer in the U.S. after Amazon. (Forbes)
- Shopify has had 218 million customers from 175 countries. (Shopify & You)
- Shopify has more than 7,000 businesses on Shopify Plus. (Shopify & You)
- Last year, Shopify made over $1.5 billion in sales during Black Friday, Cyber Monday. (Shopify and You)
- Shopify is used by 4.9% of all of the websites who use a content management system. (W3Techs)
- Shopify is searched more than 4.6 million times per month on Google. (Ahrefs)
- Shopify is most popular on search engines in the United States followed by United Kingdom, Canada, France, India, and Australia. (Ahrefs)
- 81% of the traffic to Shopify stores comes from mobile devices.
- The average customer spends nearly 4 minutes on Shopify.
- Shopify has integrated onto Instagram Shopping to 44 countries (TechCrunch)
- Shopify has paid over $850,000 to hackers. (HackerOne)
- Shop Pay has more than 40 million customers worldwide. (Shopify and You)
- The Shop app is being used by 16 million customers worldwide. (Shopify and You)
- 30 million emails have been sent through Shopify Email. (Shopify and You)
- Shopify powers 4,100 apps in the App store. (Shopify and You)
Shopify IPO Statistics
These stats about Shopify’s growth in the stock markets might surprise you.
- Shopify raised $131 million in its IPO.
- Shopify’s stock has grown 1000% since its IPO.
- Shopify’s stock “SHOP” debuted at $28.31. (Yahoo Stocks)
- Shopify’s stock price now sits at $1,071. (Yahoo Stocks)
- Shopify has a market cap of more than $130 billion.