Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

Dogs love to eat food that people eat, and they can safely eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Some fruits and vegetables are healthy and tasty treats for your dog, but others can be very harmful.
Grapes can be a very healthy and tasty snack, especially on those hot summer days. But can dogs eat grapes? Let’s go over whether our furry friends can get a taste of this summer snack or not.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

The answer is a resounding no. Dogs shouldn't eat grapes or raisins. They can cause harmful reactions that could even kill them. Keep reading to find out why grapes and raisins are bad for dogs, how to tell if your dog is sick, and what other treats you can give your dog.

Which Grapes and Raisins Are Harmful to Dogs?

Cooked, seedless, peeled, dried, or fresh grapes are dangerous for dogs. You should also avoid giving your dog raisins, grape juice, jelly, or jam.

How Much Is Too Much?

Sadly, the specific toxic dose isn’t known. However, there are two things to remember. First, dogs are more likely to get sick if they eat a lot of fruit. Second, each dog seems to have their own level of sensitivity.
Some dogs seem to be able to eat small amounts of grapes or raisins without getting sick, while others may get sick after eating just a few. Unfortunately, there is no way to know which dogs might be more sensitive at the moment.

Why Are Grapes Bad for Dogs?

Kidney damage is connected to grape toxicity. If your dog eats the fruit, they could end up with sudden kidney failure.
No one knows what makes grapes poisonous, but dogs can't break down the tannins, flavonoids, or monosaccharides in grapes. This could be the main reason why grapes can make dogs sick.
Observers believed that tartaric acid, mycotoxin, which is a poison made by mold or fungus, or a salicylate drug that’s in the grape, might make dogs sick.

Signs of Grape Toxicity

It happens more often than you might think. Your sweet dog eats grapes out of a bowl or your child spills raisins from a snack box under the table. Before you can do anything, your best friend will have eaten the poisonous fruit. If that happens, look for the following signs that your dog may be having a bad reaction to grapes or raisins:
  • Loss of appetite
  • Weakness or lack of energy
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal pain
  • Intense thirst
  • Over urination
  • Stinky breath
  • Urinating less or not at all
  • Dehydration is accompanied by a dry nose, mouth, pale gums, and heavy panting
  • Mouth ulcers
  • Kidney failure
Symptoms may appear instantly or over several hours. Contact your vet immediately if your dog has no symptoms after eating a grape or raisin. Quick treatment can save your dog's life and prevent long-term damage.

What Will Your Vet Do for Grape Poisoning?

A veterinarian may ask you to try to induce vomiting in your dog at home if they have eaten something poisonous, such as grapes or raisins. This is because they want the grapes or raisins to leave the stomach as quickly as possible.
A veterinarian may advise you to give your dog a small dose of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide, advising you on the proper dose based on your dog's weight and age. The hydrogen peroxide will be poured or squirted into the back of the dog's mouth or the back of the dog's cheek.
You may be able to monitor your dog at home if we get that grape or raisin back in their vomit. Also, if you suspect that your dog ate something else toxic with grapes or raisins (such as a household chemical), vomiting isn’t a good idea, and you should take your dog to the veterinarian right away.

How Can I Keep My Dog From Getting Grape Poison?

You should never feed your dog grapes, raisins, currants, or sultanas. Avoid giving your dog raisin bread, grape juice, or grape jam and jelly to your dog. You should be aware that some protein bars contain raisins, which can cause toxicity in your dog.
The best way to keep your dog safe from grape toxicity is to keep these foods away from them.
Make sure that any visitors to your home are aware of the dangers of feeding grapes or grape products to dogs.

What Are the Safe Human Treats to Share With Your Dog?

Try different things to see what your pet likes best, and wash fruits and vegetables well first. By giving your dog fresh fruits and vegetables as treats once in a while, you're adding something healthy to his diet instead of just filling them up with less healthy snacks. Your choices are wide.
They aren’t only limited to fruits or vegetables. Explore and let your puppy enjoy it. Here are some safe options:
  • Green Peas
  • Carrots
  • Green Beans
  • Watermelon
  • Cooked Sweet Potatoes
  • Bananas
  • Broccoli


Is It Possible for Dogs to Recover From Eating Grapes if They Appear Fine?

Your furry friend may be fine after eating grapes, so don't rush to the vet. If they did eat grapes, you should take them to the vet right away. It depends on how many grapes they ate, how quickly you treated them, their grape sensitivity, and whether they developed kidney failure.
Depending on their size, a single or few grapes should be fine if treated right away. However, if they have kidney damage and stop urinating, this can be very lethal to their health.

Are Grapes Lethal to Dogs?

Yes. Grapes cause kidney damage. Without treatment, it can cause a lifetime of health problems and death within days.

What Other Foods Poison Dogs?

Garlic, onions, chocolate, alcohol, cocoa, macadamia nuts, fatty foods, and xylitol-sweetened foods can be fatal.


If you've ever wondered, "Can dogs eat grapes?" you now know the answer, and you can protect your dog from grape poisoning. If they eat grapes, raisins, or currants, have your vet's information ready to treat them right away.