Now that you know that raisins are toxic to dogs, you may be wondering, “What other foods are toxic to dogs?”
Take a good look at the list below before you prepare a meal for your puppy.
Onion Family (Garlic, Chives, Shallots)
Don’t allow your dog to come near any member of the onion family as they’re quite toxic to dogs and can cause hemolytic anemia.
The symptoms of this disorder include vomiting, weakness, panting, and blood in the urine.
Even onion and garlic powders can be dangerous if they were part of the seasoning added to a piece of meat that you fed your dog.
Although it’s not fatal when digested, chocolate will make your dog very ill. In general, the darker the chocolate, the sicker your dog will become.
The reason why chocolate is dangerous to your pooch is that it contains three irritant ingredients to dogs: Theobromine, milk, and caffeine.
Symptoms of chocolate poisoning range from diarrhea and vomiting to heart failure, depending on the amount of chocolate eaten by the dog.
Like raisins, it’s not known the exact reason behind the toxicity of macadamia nuts. However, it can be easily put on the top of the list. Mild cases can be of little or no symptoms, while severe cases can cause fever, shaking continuously, and weakness in the hind legs.
Yes, macadamia nuts aren’t an everyday snack, but they can be found in baked food, including muffins, cakes, and cookies.
Dogs are allowed to chew bones, right? Yes, but not if they were cooked.
Bones can be very beneficial to dogs, but once cooked, they lose all the nutrients and can injure a dog's mouth, break its teeth, or get stuck in the throat in the form of fragments.
Even if the bone’s fragments didn’t do any harm while chewing or swallowing, they might cause constipation or internal bleeding
You may wonder, what kind of food is this? Well, this isn’t food per se. It’s basically a substance that’s naturally found in some fruits and is then extracted and used as a sugar substitute.
The use of xylitol has increased notably over the past few years in products such as sugar-free foods (gums, peanut butter, candy, etc.) and sweetened medications such as cough syrup and vitamins.
This substance is extremely dangerous to dogs since low doses can cause hypoglycemia and high doses may lead to liver failure.
Some symptoms of xylitol poisoning are vomiting, loss of coordination while walking, general weakness, and in severe cases seizures, tremors, or even coma.